– Reference: ONDZF E 017
– Two 100% full-time artistic assistants at Royal Academy of Fine Arts KASK & Royal Conservatory
University College Ghent consists of several functional entities: three faculties (Education, Health & Social Work; Science & Technology; and Business & Information Management), KASK & Royal Conservatory, and the Centre for Entrepreneurship. A central administration supports the functioning of the board and these entities. Organisationally, KASK & Royal Conservatory consists of seven programme committees and eight departments, supported by six offices.
Duties and responsibilities
Successful candidates are expected to conduct Doctoral research in the arts in collaboration with Ghent University, for at least 70% of the full-time employment and to assist in activities of educational support and student guidance within the relevant field at University College Ghent, for no more than 30% of the full-time employment.
– Capable of actively developing a personal artistic body of work that meets international standards
– Display an investigative attitude within their artistic discipline
– Have the skills required to successfully complete a long-term research project
– Take a keen interest in communicating about their personal artistic output and in the verbal expression of its contexts
– Are acquainted (actively or passively) with artists’ writings
– Have an active command of English in light of institutional internationalization
Remuneration according to wage scale 508. See the website of the Flemish Department of Education for more information concerning this wage scale with respect to seniority.
In addition to public sector seniority, private sector seniority can also be taken into account. Seniority will be granted on the basis of certified employment attestations and after examination of the case.
Reimbursement of public transportation commuting or cycle allowance, an attractive sports offer, and staff ID with additional benefits.
Initial appointment is for a period of two years, with the possibility of two two-year extensions of the contract upon positive evaluation (if exceptional circumstances would require such, an additional one-year extension is possible in line with article V.141 of the ‘Higher Education Codex’).
On 1 October, candidates must meet the general requirements outlined in article V.106 of the Flemish ‘Higher Education Codex’ of 20 December 2013:
– be a citizen of a member state of the European Union or of the European Free Trade Association (exceptions can be made in line with article V.107 of the Codex)
– have full civil and political rights
– have the required formal qualifications
– conduct themselves in a manner that is consistent with the requirements of the function
– comply with conscription law requirements
– possess the physical fitness required for the function
On 1 January 2015, candidates must hold a Master’s degree or an equivalent thereof.
Applying for this position is possible up until, and including, 1 October and only through english.hogent.be/careers. Candidates must include a curriculum vitae and cover letter. Only applications filed in time will be considered.
Applicants are expected to submit a project proposal for Doctoral research in the arts (including a six-year phasing schedule), and to suggest a supervisor at University College Ghent (School of Arts) and one at Ghent University. The research proposal must be endorsed by both supervisors. An uploaded, digital form completed to include the candidate’s project proposal must accompany the application. The form can be found here.
The two supervisors of the project proposal are expected to submit their advice on the candidate and the proposal to Ms. Els Stuyven, Director of University College Ghent’s Office of Research Affairs, via firstname.lastname@example.org on 1 October at the latest. The template for this advice can be found here.
The selection procedure starts with a preliminary selection based on competency requirements. Only those candidates whose applications sufficiently prove them to meet these requirements will be invited for an interview, tentatively scheduled for 1 December.
Questions regarding the open position can be addressed to Ms. Katrien Vuylsteke Vanfleteren, Head of the Research Office of the School of Arts, via katrien.vuylstekevanfleteren@
University College Ghent wishes to reflect the society it works for in the best possible way. Candidates will be selected on the basis of their professional qualities and skills, regardless of gender, ethnicity or handicap.