Assistant Professor of Architecture
Posting Type: Internal/External
Working Title: Assistant Professor of Architecture
Position Type: Faculty
Hiring Department: FACULTY SEARCHES
Position Summary: The Department of Architecture in the Division of Architecture and Design invites applications for a full-time faculty appointment, at the rank of Assistant Professor, to commence in the fall of 2015. The department seeks highly qualified candidates with the ability to teach design studios at all levels and with knowledge in building systems, material assemblies and fabrication. Applicants will be expected to further their research agenda through a body of work that analyzes, critiques, and leverages the technical, economic and social limits of global building practices.
Rhode Island School of Design is an undergraduate and graduate college of art and design with approximately 2,400 graduate and undergraduate students. RISD offers 19-degree programs in the fine arts and design in a historic campus located in Providence, RI. The Department of Architecture grants both undergraduate (B.Arch) and graduate (M.Arch) professional degrees. The department’s approach to architectural education is grounded by its situation in an arts college: there is an emphasis on empirical discovery, sensibility, and the pursuit of ideas that emerge through making. The individual filling this position will join a culture that emphasizes making as the primary mode of discourse.
Faculty positions in the department of architecture typically include a four-course load each academic year, teaching design studio and core support courses within undergraduate and graduate professional degree programs in addition to teaching in their area of expertise. Faculty are also expected to maintain a professional practice, serve on college committees, advise students, participate in curriculum development and other departmental activities and projects, and contribute to the vibrancy of the intellectual life of the college. The Rhode Island School of Design supports faculty professional practice with sabbaticals, pre-critical review leave, conference funds and professional development grants.
Qualifications: The department seeks an emerging voice within the discipline of architecture whose work, research, and academic experience focuses on making and constructing across scales and contexts. A record of teaching experience and a research agenda, evidenced through publications, is preferred. A Masters degree (or equivalent) in Architecture is required for interested candidates.
Other Requirements: RISD recognizes diversity and inclusivity as fundamental to its learning community and integral to an art and design education. We welcome candidates whose experience in teaching, scholarship, professional practice, or service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. RISD is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, or any other protected characteristic as established by law.
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Employment Type: Full-Time
Hours/week and months/year:
Other than regular hours (typically 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Mon-Fri.)
Special Instructions to Applicants:
1. If you are having difficulty submitting your application, please e-mail Nicole da Cruz at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call her at 401-709-8482.
2. Please attach a detailed cover letter, curriculum vitae, teaching philosophy and contact information for three references to the appropriate tabs in the application. Please attach evidence of teaching excellence, including example syllabi to the tab marked “Other Documents 1”. In your teaching philosophy please comment on how you attend to diversity and inclusivity as fundamental to a learning community.
3. Please attach, in PDF format, no more than 20 examples of current professional work. Please note that documents should not exceed 2 MB in size (you may attach additional PDF files to tabs labeled “other documents”).
4. Please attach, in PDF format, no more than 20 images of your students’ work to the appropriate tabs on the application site.
5. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Candidates who submit their materials by January 5, 2015 will be assured full consideration.
Salary Grade: N/A
Required Background Screening for Selected Candidate: The successful candidate will be required to meet our pre-employment background screening requirements.
Thanks for finally talking about >Assistant Professor of Architecture / Deadline January 5, 2015 <Liked it!